Re: Memory issue

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Fri Apr 19 2002 - 15:36:52 GMT
At 08:27 AM 04/19/02 -0700, Rich Thomas wrote:
>I'm running the April 16 dev version on a Solaris 8 box with 128 meg of RAM.
>
>I was under the impression that Swish used swap files if there wasn;t enough
>memory.  Yet when I tried indexeing our site I got:
>
># ./swish-e -c swish.config -S fs -f /space/rich/index.416
>Indexing Data Source: "File-System"
>Indexing "/ublin/"
>err: Ran out of memory (could not allocate 262144 more bytes)!
>
>Do I need to tell Swish to use swap?  IF so, how?

What was top showing?  I can index 24,000 HTML files in /usr/doc in about
70MB.

Try using the -e switch.  It will index slower and should use less memory.

Let us know the difference in memory usage, number of files, and so on.

Install more memory, too!  Hard to imagine such a new OS running in 128M.

mailto:moseley@hank.org