SGI problem with Dev Apr-17

From: Scott Nelson <nelson(at)not-real.canopus.llnl.gov>
Date: Fri Apr 19 2002 - 00:36:10 GMT
For the SGI Irix platform with the Apr17 version of the development
copy of swish-e, I had to set NO_SYMBOLIC_FILE_LINKS during
the compile phase in order to avoid a core dump in fs.c in
the fs_already_indexed function.

Although the code compiled OK, "make test" wouldn't work
-- and none of my data could be indexed either.

Using the debugger, the problem happens in fs_already_indexed at the
assignment of:

       p->ino = ino;

I looked into the code for awhile with the debugger but something
weird is happening -- as if there are overlapping memory spaces
for a couple of the variables.

Anyway, setting NO_SYMBOLIC_FILE_LINKS (which skips that block of
code) solves the problem.  I presume that it is there specifically
for that purpose.  I don't know enough about inodes, etc. to
debug it further -- all I could see were variables changing when
they weren't supposed to be.  This happened whether I compiled
with/without debug mode, optimization, or 32 vs. 64 bit mode.

I would like to compliment the swish-e developers.  The memory usage
in 2.1-Apr17 is SIGNIFICANTLY less than that in 2.0.5

Thanks folks!

Scott Nelson

--
Scott D. Nelson            B543  Rm2236    3-1250
Accelerator Design and Code Group