[BUG] swish-e 2.0.5 hangs on 200 Kb index file

From: Colin Kuskie <ckuskie(at)not-real.sterlink.net>
Date: Fri Apr 12 2002 - 05:12:42 GMT
For the last several weeks, I've noticed several hung swish-e processes
which I've had to manually kill.  I tried submitting the search on
the command line, and was surprised to see that it hung:

/usr/local/bin/swish-e -w bible -m 0 -f ./index

It seems that all searches hang indefinitely.  The process never goes to
sleep, consuming 100% of the CPU for as long as 15 minutes (when I get
impatient and kill the process).

This is the output from the search:

# Swish-e format 2.0
#
# Name: Sunset Pres Search Index
# Saved as: index
# Counts: 3768 words, 112 files
# Indexed on: 11/04/2002 21:26:37 PDT
# Pointer: http://www.sunsetpres.org
# Maintained by: Webmaster, (webmaster@sunsetpres.org)
# DocumentProperties: Enabled
# Stemming Applied: 0
# Soundex Applied: 0
# WordCharacters: #&0123456789;abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
# MinWordLimit: 1
# MaxWordLimit: 40
# BeginCharacters: "&'(0123456789abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
# EndCharacters: "'),.0123456789\abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
# IgnoreFirstChar: "'(
# IgnoreLastChar: "'),.;
# SWISH format 2.0
# Search words: bible

uname -a:
Linux 2.2.17-14 #1 Mon Feb 5 18:48:50 EST 2001 i686 unknown

(Red Hat 6.2)

gcc: egcs-2.91.66

Config file is attached.

I could also send the output from the indexing as well as the index
file itself, since they're about 200K each, but don't want to overload
the list.

I'll also try the same thing with 2.1-dev-today.

Colin

to a plain text message.