Re: Script suggestions

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Fri Mar 22 2002 - 18:53:45 GMT
At 10:45 AM 03/22/02 -0800, Ron Weales wrote:
>I have been using swish-e to index a File System running on RH=
> 7.1
>and it seems to work alright but I am looking for more options in=
>
>searching.  Currently the script I use as a front end only allows=
>
>alphanumeric characters in its search of the index.  So if I want=
>search for "E.03", I have to change it to "E03".
>
>Can anyone suggest a search script that will allow searching the=
>
>index for more than just alphanumerics?

When searching for something like "E.03" that is indexed as two words, just
search the phrase (quotes included) "E.03" and you will very likely find
what you want.

As far as scripts, hard to say without seeing it, but if the script is
stripping characters then it's probably also running swish though the
shell.  It's much better to fork/exec and then you don't have to worry
about the shell metachars, and all the security issues that go with that.

mailto:moseley@hank.org