Re: cross-platform compatible indexes

From: Eric Lease Morgan <eric_morgan(at)not-real.infomotions.com>
Date: Fri Mar 22 2002 - 13:08:44 GMT

Sundaram Balasubramaninan <sundaramb@yahoo.com> wrote:

> We too encounter with identically the same situation.
> We tried in transferring content into ASCII mode. But
> same error of "Auto property rank not defined "  is
> thrown on the console. As u said some thing needs to
> be looked into.
>
> We also use same ver. both at Win & *nix

Thank you for the *very* prompt replies. Ah, the wonders of Internet
communication.

I am still confused, and I can duplicate the problem. Please tell me what I
am doing wrong.

I have indexed a simple HTML file with a Windows version of swish-e, version
2.1-dev-25. A search against the resulting index returns expected results.
For example:

  % swish-e -w title=article -p location -f osti.idx
  # SWISH format: 2.1-dev-25
  # Search words: title=article
  # Number of hits: 1
  # Search time: 0.060 seconds
  # Run time: 0.231 seconds
  1000 1016800145.htm "1016800145.htm" 41409 "http://infomotions.com/1.pdf"
  .

Cool. Very cool.

I then FTP the index (in binary mode) to my Linux host and try the same
search with Unix-based swish-e version 2.1-dev-25, but this time I get
errors:

  % swish-e -w title=article  -p location -f osti.idx
  # SWISH format: 2.1-dev-25
  # Search words: title=article
  err: Unknown Display property name "location"
  .

Similarly, without the -p flag

  % swish-e -w title=article -f osti.idx
  # SWISH format: 2.1-dev-25
  # Search words: title=article
  err: Rank is not defined as an auto property
  .

I have made my index and swish-e.cfg file available for your inspection at
the following URL:

  http://www.infomotions.com/osti/osti-indexes.tar.gz

Can you duplicate the problem and point out the errors of my ways? Am I
doing something wrong, or are the indexes presently incompatible between
these two versions of swish-e?

--
Eric Lease Morgan
http://www.infomotions.com/