cross-platform compatible indexes

From: Eric Lease Morgan <eric_morgan(at)not-real.infomotions.com>
Date: Fri Mar 22 2002 - 05:11:38 GMT
What can I do to insure the indexes I create are cross-platform compatible?

I am creating a system where a set of files will be indexed on one operating
system (Windows), and searched on another (Unix). I have downloaded,
installed, and indexed a number of documents using the
swish-e-2.1-dev-25-2002-02-25 Windows version of swish-e. I have also been
successful in searching the resulting index on the same host.

After realizing the .prop files were a new feature, I downloaded, compiled,
and tried to search my Windows indexes using the
swish-e-2.1-dev-25-2002-03-2 Unix version of the software. I did no special
configurations when I did make.

When I tried to search the Windows-based index with the Unix-based binary I
get the following error:

  % swish-e -w article  -f osti.idx
  # SWISH format: 2.1-dev-25
  # Search words: article
  err: Rank is not defined as an auto property

What is an "auto property", and what can I do to make sure the indexes I
create on one host are compatible with the searching mechanism on another
host?

Similarly, when I indexed the original content I had a number of properties
and meta tags defined:

  * PropertyNames title location
  * MetaNames title location

When I search my index with the Windows binary and include a -p I get the
output I expect:

  swish-e -w article -p title location -f osti.idx

When I search the same index with the Unix binary I get an error:

  % swish-e -w article  -p title location -f osti.idx
  # SWISH format: 2.1-dev-25
  # Search words: article
  err: Unknown Display property name "title"

What am I doing wrong?

--
Eric Lease Morgan
http://www.infomotions.com/