Re: AW: Re: SWISH-E status on windows

From: David L Norris <dave(at)not-real.webaugur.com>
Date: Thu Mar 14 2002 - 18:00:36 GMT
On Thu, 2002-03-14 at 05:14, Markus Strickler wrote:
> I still don't get the swish.cgi to run.
> It uses alarm() which is unsupported at least in ActivePerl 5.6.
> Also it openes a pipe with open( $fh, '-|' ); which doesn't work on
> Windows either...

I believe alarm has a conditional that should disable it on Win32.
open() I'm not sure about.

Here's the current version of swish.cgi:
http://cvs.sf.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/swishe/swish-e/example/swish.cgi?rev=1.28

> I'm using the swish-e-2.1-dev-25-2002-02-25-win32.exe if that's of any
> importance.

That should be fairly current.

> Concerning the "statbility" question.
> I meant stable as in stable for a production environment.

Well, I can only reccomend thorough testing.  And be very careful about
passing queries to the command line; especially running on IIS.  I'd do
some testing to make sure someone can't execute arbitrary commands by
inserting special chars into the search box.  Unix shells can easily be
made to ignore special chars, but, windows shells seem to lack this
feature.

Searching should be very stable at this point.

Indexing has one notable issue on Windows.  In some cases you'll get a
"file not found" on a directory that clearly exists.  That is at the top
of my todo list.  I know what's causing it, but, fixing it reliably has
proven elusive.

--
 David Norris
  Augury Net - http://augur.homeip.net/

  "If you stare into an abyss long enough
   it begins to stare back into you."  --Nietzsche