Re: SWISH-E status on windows

From: David L Norris <dave(at)not-real.webaugur.com>
Date: Wed Mar 13 2002 - 17:26:27 GMT
On Wed, 2002-03-13 at 09:14, Markus Strickler wrote:
> I was wondering what's the stat of swish-e on windows.

Quite usable except for a few issues with directory names.

> The webpage states that the latest stable build is 2.0.5

I'm not sure what we mean by stable.  It's not a development version and
may never be updated.

> but I couldn't find it for download (only unix source versions).

I probably never made a 2.0.5 build for win32.  We were well into the
2.1 series at that time, if I recall.  And, I'd rather people use the
2.1-dev builds to help me work out bugs with Win32.

> Also what's the state of SWISH-PERL?
> From what I could see it's not included with the windows distribution.

I'm not familiar with how to build PERL modules on Windows.  So, it's
simply never been tried.  It should be trivial to someone who knows
ActiveState's build process.

> Will it work on Windows (2000 Server)?

Everything should work the same across all systems (Unix, VMS, Win32,
etc).  That said, there are bugs in the Win32 API POSIX support which
manifest themselves differently between DOS and NT based systems.  I've
tried to work around them when possible.

> Another question, do I get it right, that the search.cgi
> script that comes with the windows distro doesn't work on Windows?

I think it should work fine.

Bill: Does it require the PERL module?

> And finally what's the status of the SWISH-E C library on
> windows? Anyone successfully using it?

swish-e.exe itself uses the C library.  And, many people have written
other applications which use it.  Successful?  I suppose so.

There is currently no DLL.  Only a static library.  A kind soul has
passed along some modifications which would allow SWISH-E to be used
with C++.  This should make a Win32 DLL very feasible.  He's using
SWISH-E as a COM+ object within MS IIS, for example.  It requires
wrapping all of the headers and renaming some things which conflict with
Microsoft structures.  So, I'm not rushing right to do it.

--
 David Norris
  Augury Net - http://augur.homeip.net/

  "If you stare into an abyss long enough
   it begins to stare back into you."  --Nietzsche