Re: Index Webs Files

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Wed Feb 27 2002 - 22:04:08 GMT
At 02:25 PM 2/27/2002 +0000, Lu Lu wrote:

>>You are asking swish to tell you what files contain words that begin with
>>those numbers.
>
>And letters a to z, but swish-e don't make it automatically.... I want to
>know that are contents of metatags

We may be confusing some terms because I'm not really clear what you mean
by "metatags".

I sure you know this, but:

You can define "metanames" in the swish config file -- this allows you to
define what might be called "fields" or "columns" in a database that you
can search.  When you say author=foo you are saying look for documents that
contain the word "foo" but only look for "foo" in the "author" field.

Swish can return the *contents* of metatags by using the PropertyNames
feature.  So when you search for a term swish can tell you not only what
document(s) contain that term, but also, perhaps, the contents of the
"author" metatag.
The document's name, title, last modification date, and size are all
"properties" that are used by default.

Since asking swish for -w author=a*, -w author=b*... is not a very common
use of swish, perhaps it would be helpful to know what you are trying to
use swish for, or exactly what data you want from swish.  That might make
it easier to answer your questions.

Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley@hank.org