Re: meta names not included in swishdefault?

From: Alex Lyons SercoAssurance-Winfrith Tel01305-202368 FAX01305-202194 <ajlyons(at)not-real.sercoassurance.com>
Date: Wed Feb 27 2002 - 22:03:38 GMT
Dear swish-e developers,

If I may contribute to the debate...

Bill suggests something like "-w *=foo"  meaning search in all
metanames, but also suggests "-w swishdefault,keywords,othermeta=foo" as
meaning search in only the specified metas.  At the moment it seems that
the simple "-w foo" would map to the proposed "-w swishdefault=foo".  If
this proposal is implemented, could I suggest that, instead, "-w foo"
should map to "-w *=foo", which seems to be what Fred was originally
asking for.

Further thoughts...

If all this is done, we don't really need the "-t HBthec" flags any
more, as "-t t -w foo" can be expressed more generally as "-w title=foo"
and so on (the h and e flags would correspond to metaname aliases or
groups). No doubt the -t would have to remain for a while for backwards
compatibility.

Also, it could be useful to be able to assign a "weight" to words found
in particular meta tags, like the RANK_* defines in config.h  I guess
this could be most easily done at index time through the config file: I
wouldn't know whether the flexibility of being able to do it at search
time (e.g: "-w title(3.0),swishdefault(1.0)=foo") would be required or
even possible.

Finally (and now totally off-subject), would it be possible to include
some algorithm to scale the rank by some factor based on another
(numerical) property?  I'm thinking in particular of the last-modified
property, so that newer files can be given a higher rank than older
ones, where at the moment the search might give them equal rank.  Might
also be useful for the size property to give smaller files a greater
rank.  Some sort of "exponential decay" term (e.g: rank *=
exp(-age/age0)*exp(-size/size0)) where age0 and size0 are specified
either in the config or maybe even in the arglist at search-time.  I
know the CGI script can sort by numeric property once it has all the
results, but if swish has already sorted results by rank, why do it
again?

Sorry I'm much better at dreaming up wishlist items than actually
finding the time to implement any of them :)

Anyway, thanks for the lively and informative discussion list.

Alex Lyons.

privileged material; it is for the intended addressee(s) only. If you
are not a named addressee, you must not use, retain or disclose such
information.

Serco cannot guarantee that the e-mail or any attachments are free
from viruses.

Serco Group plc. Registered in England and Wales. No: 2048608
Registered Office: Dolphin House, Windmill Road, Sunbury-on-Thames,
TW16 7HT, United Kingdom.