Re: Error dealing with long pathnames in Win32

From: David L Norris <dave(at)not-real.webaugur.com>
Date: Tue Feb 19 2002 - 17:55:29 GMT
On Tue, 2002-02-19 at 12:42, SRE wrote:
> At 09:13 AM 2/19/02, David L Norris wrote:
> > OFS_MAXPATHNAME is 128 bytes on Windows (any version).
> Not true. I just created a 250-char file name on WinNT 4.
> The limit there is said to be 256 characters

Well, there's the quandry.  Pathnames can be much longer than 128 bytes
in Windows NT 4, 2000, and XP.  But, OFS_MAXPATHNAME in the Win32 API is
defined as 128 bytes.  And, OFS_MAXPATHNAME is being used to defined
buffers in dirent.c.  This dirent.c was originally written for DOS then
ported (by Microsoft) to OS/2 then NT 3.1.

I think perhaps OFS_MAXPATHNAME isn't the correct thing to be using.
I'm looking into it...

--
 David Norris
  Augury Net - http://augur.homeip.net/

  "If you stare into an abyss long enough
   it begins to stare back into you."  --Nietzsche