Re: win port of latest swish.cgi

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Sun Feb 17 2002 - 13:24:08 GMT
At 09:12 PM 02/16/02 -0800, David L Norris wrote:

>Bill: Does the CGI test for the existance of the swish-e executable?
>Perhaps it's simply not finding it.  Would that generate some error?

Yes, it displays on the browser:

   Service currently unavailable

And the server error logs show:

Can't exec "./swish-e": No such file or directory at
/usr/local/apache/htdocs/swishtest/swish.cgi line 1461.
Child process Failed to exec './swish-e' Error: No such file or directory
at /usr/local/apache/htdocs/swishtest/swish.cgi line 1462.
/usr/local/apache/htdocs/swishtest/swish.cgi Swish returned unknown output:
'Failed to exec Swish'

Double messages on unix because both the child and parent are logging the
problem.

But, if someone follows the installation directions hopefully that won't
happen.  The installation directions describe how to test the script before
running it as a CGI application.

>> Is it due to fork? (used in script which is not
>> supported in Win)
>
>I'm fairly sure nothing forks.  Forking on Win32 will simply hang
>forever.  You'd never see any messages from the CGI.

Right.  Although you can "fork" in perl on Windows, you can't do seem to
exec. So, I use perl's IPC::Open2 under Windows.  But, that still goes
through the shell so it's not secure (not that I know what that means on
Windows).

mailto:moseley@hank.org