Re: Monday build of swish-e killing apache

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Tue Feb 12 2002 - 19:26:23 GMT
At 10:57 AM 02/12/02 -0800, Chris Blackstone wrote:

Hi Chris,

>I downloaded Monday's snapshot. I compiled it on my Mac OS X 10.1.2
>machine. Everything compiled correctly, and I was able to index my web
>server (different machine), but once the indexing finishes, all the
>apache processes (httpd) are killed on the web server and they aren't
>restarted, so the web server basically stops working.

You are saying the same server you are spider is killed?

What's the Apache log say?  If a process gets killed the parent will often
say something about it if it's killed from a signal.

Swish shouldn't be able to kill the web server just by making requests
regardless of what it is doing -- especially if running as a different user.

But if you used up all RAM then maybe the OS will start killing off
processes.  Did you check /var/log/messages (or the OS X equivalent)?  That
would be my guess.

Did you watch memory usage by chance?

You aren't indexing as root are you?

You can grab any version you like of spider.pl from the sourceforge CVS web
site.  If you think it's from a change in spider.pl over the last few days
then just changing that one program would be useful.

>Web server is FreeBSD 2.28, Apache 1.3.4

1.3.4?  What year is that from? ;)

mailto:moseley@hank.org