Re: Getting a Web Page to have a higher ranking

From: Gerald Klaas <gklaas(at)not-real.arb.ca.gov>
Date: Fri Feb 08 2002 - 18:18:55 GMT
Bill Moseley wrote:
> I plan on allowing making ranking adjustable by metaname.  Something like:
>
>    MetaNameRank keywords 5
>
> so each metaname will have it's own rank.

Bill,
This is excellent news!  I would certainly be able to use this
directive.
 :-)   =|:-)}   :-)

To Chris, the way I handle this is to create a Meta tag name="topicno"
and every page has up to 3 assigned topic numbers.  The CGI sorts
the swish results by topicno.  This wouldn't work well for large
data sets, as the CGI has to fetch all of the records in order to sort
them.  I have the number limited to 1300 by the existance of a second
META tag on "important" pages.  In my CGI, if this search for
"important"
pages returns zero results, it then passes the query to the general
query (doesn't have to have a topicno META tag)

This would be much easier if we only allowed one number in topicno, but
that's another story.

For your situation, maybe you could assign page priorities
in a META tag then use the "-s" sort by property
switch to get swish-search to order them for you?

Gerald