Re: Getting a Web Page to have a higher ranking

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Fri Feb 08 2002 - 17:43:32 GMT
At 09:17 AM 02/08/02 -0800, Chris Blackstone wrote:
>I work for a school district and summer school registration is starting.
>We have a site for summer school that I want to be returned as the #1
>web  page when someone searches on Summer School.
>The page has "Summer School" in the Title tag on the Page and the text
>"summer school" appears 5 other places on the page.
>However, when I search on "summer school" it comes up on the third page
>of results (like 40th page returned, rank of 599), and most people don't
>look that deep on searches.

For this I'd probably modify the search script to notice these special
queries.

Otherwise, you have play with ranking.  Ranking is on the top of the TODO
list.

I don't know if this will help or not:

What you might do is add a metatag with some keywords.  Then in config.h
you can adjust the bias of words found in metatags.

#define RANK_TITLE              4
#define RANK_HEADER             3
#define RANK_META               3
#define RANK_COMMENTS   1
#define RANK_EMPHASIZED 0

Look at this:

> cat 4.html
<head>
<title>Title</title>
</head>
  foo

> ./swish-e -i 4.html -T indexed_words -v 0
Indexing Data Source: "File-System"
    Adding:[1:swishdefault(1)]   'title'   Pos:1  Stuct:0x7 ( HEAD TITLE
FILE )
    Adding:[1:swishdefault(1)]   'metacontent'   Pos:3  Stuct:0x85 ( META
HEAD FILE )
    Adding:[1:swishdefault(1)]   'foo'   Pos:5  Stuct:0x9 ( BODY FILE )
Indexing done!

So you can see that "metacontent" is flagged as "META".  So you might be
able to change the RANK_META to a higher number and make it rank higer or
as high as the title.

If that works let us know, ok?

I plan on allowing making ranking adjustable by metaname.  Something like:

   MetaNameRank keywords 5

so each metaname will have it's own rank.

(But that's actually different somewhat, but I won't go into that now.)

mailto:moseley@hank.org