Re: matching partial/variant words

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Fri Feb 08 2002 - 00:15:14 GMT
At 03:38 PM 02/07/02 -0800, Chuck Renner wrote:
>Hadn't stumbled across this yet.  So stemming only stores the derived root
>of the word in the index?  In other words, "running" gets stemmed to "run",
>so a search for "running" against the stemmed index will return no results?

No.  The query is stemmed, too.

Indexing would convert both "running" and "runs" to run and only store
"run" in the index.  Then when searching for "running" (or "runs") swish
will convert that to "run" and find the correct entries in the index.

>If this is the case, it is possible to create a single index with both the
>original and stemmed words, or is this something better handled by the new
>combined search results handling in the newer versions?

You can't combine a stemmed and non-stemmed index because the way the query
works.  I don't think it makes any sense to query a stemmed and non-stemmed
index at the same time.  Stemmed is just more fuzzy (and less accurate).

mailto:moseley@hank.org