matching partial/variant words

From: Chuck Renner <crenner(at)not-real.dynalivery.com>
Date: Thu Feb 07 2002 - 20:30:34 GMT
I've had SWISH-E v2.0 running fine for a while, but have now had a
functionality question come up.  In our environment, a search for the word
"deprecated" returns three results.  A search for the word "deprecate"
returns no results.

Experimenting at the command line, I discovered I can include a wildcard
character on the end of the query term, such that "deprecated", "deprecate*"
and "deprecated*" all return the same results.  My existing Perl script
could be easily modified to add the * to each term.

However, before going forward with this, I want to find out the following:

1)  Does this solution have potentially bad consequences that I may not be
seeing?

2)  Is there anything built into SWISH that would do this for me?  (Nothing
in the documentation or FAQ jumped out at me.)

3)  Does anyone have a different/better approach this issue?

Thanks