Re: Title ranking

From: Bob Stewart <rstewart(at)not-real.vmirror.com>
Date: Thu Dec 27 2001 - 15:44:00 GMT
>Speaking of <title>...the ranking is a bit broken:  Currently, if you have
>"foo" in a HTML <title> tag, then every "foo" in the <body> is also flagged
>as being a title word.  The effect is that a hit on "foo" will produce a
>really high rank for that document, since all the "foo"s are flagged as
>title words.
>The plan is to fix that, but that will increase the index size and memory
>requirements since extra data must be stored for every word indexed.  Might
>be a good candidate for a #define in config.h.

Bill,

I've been using Atomz.com's commercial remote search solution. They have one feature that might be worth emulating. They have a particular meta tag that trumps even the title. So a document with a word listed in this meta tag will rank even higher than one that's listed in the title. I guess it's the same as the meta keyword tags that used to work with some of the portal search engines.

It could be pretty useful, though I don't know how much it would be worth in extra load-level/index-size.

  Bob Stewart

  The Virtual Mirror