Re: running out of memory during merge

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Thu Dec 06 2001 - 19:23:50 GMT
At 11:05 AM 12/06/01 -0800, Benjamin Grosser wrote:
>Thanks for your comments.  I did in fact try indexing it all at once first
>and ran out of memory there.  I then tried using multiple index files on a
>single search and that does indeed work.  The only thing that is kind of
>interesting with that is that it provides the results in an order that
>corresponds to the multiple indexes.  For example, I've got one index for
>each year of a mailing-list.  My search returns first the 2001, then the
>2000, then the 1999, etc...  They are ordered by score, but only with the
>different years.

That shouldn't be the case.  the results should all be collected together
and then sorted.

Here's the Apache docs using one and then two indexes:

> ./swish-e -w installation -H 0 -f index.swish-e -x '%r %t\n'
1000 Test Page for Apache Installation
230 Using Apache with Microsoft Windows
220 Installing Apache on TPF
216 Apache suEXEC Support
212 Apache suEXEC Support
207 Apache Server Frequently Asked Questions
199 Compiling and Installing Apache
199 Apache 1.3 Dynamic Shared Object (DSO) support
199 New features with Apache 1.3
199 Apache IP-based Virtual Host Support
199 Apache Server Virtual Host Support
187 Apache module mod_dll
187 Upgrading to 1.3 from 1.2
187 Source Re-organisation
187 The Apache TPF Port
187 Using Apache with Novell NetWare 5
187 Apache module mod_so

> ./swish-e -w installation -H 0 -f index.swish-e index.swish-e -x '%r %t\n'
1000 Test Page for Apache Installation
1000 Test Page for Apache Installation
230 Using Apache with Microsoft Windows
230 Using Apache with Microsoft Windows
220 Installing Apache on TPF
220 Installing Apache on TPF
216 Apache suEXEC Support
216 Apache suEXEC Support
212 Apache suEXEC Support
212 Apache suEXEC Support
207 Apache Server Frequently Asked Questions
207 Apache Server Frequently Asked Questions
199 Compiling and Installing Apache
199 Apache 1.3 Dynamic Shared Object (DSO) support
199 New features with Apache 1.3
199 Apache IP-based Virtual Host Support
199 Apache Server Virtual Host Support
199 Compiling and Installing Apache
199 Apache 1.3 Dynamic Shared Object (DSO) support
199 New features with Apache 1.3
199 Apache IP-based Virtual Host Support
199 Apache Server Virtual Host Support
187 Apache module mod_dll
187 Upgrading to 1.3 from 1.2
187 Source Re-organisation