Re: Searching hangs thru cgi works on command

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Mon Nov 26 2001 - 14:02:45 GMT
At 01:29 AM 11/26/2001 -0800, Mohammed Ahmed wrote:

># Number of hits: 363
># Search time: 0.000 seconds
># Run time: 0.000 seconds

Too small of a sample to really see a difference.  If you were returning
tens of thousands of results it might show more of a difference.  And
indexing time might show a bigger difference, maybe?

I have one machine running Linux, and another running Win ME, both same
hardward.  I use the Windows machine to telnet into my Linux machines.  I
find it really slow when trying to work on the Win ME machine under the
cygwin bash shell.

>I can't imagine why running as a CGI script would make swish hang, unless
>>there's some type of weird i/o blocking happening.
>
>Well, it showed ~100% CPU utilization by swish-e...
>Would you have high CPU use at I/O block, I dont know?

No, I wouldn't think so.  Under cygwin I think you can run the gdb
debugger.  What I'd do is run swish-e under gdb, wait for it to hang, then
just ^C and do a back trace to see where it's happening.  You may have
found a bug that only shows up under cygwin for some reason.

Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley@hank.org