Re: mysite.com - dot character not indexed

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Sat Oct 27 2001 - 13:23:46 GMT
At 03:05 AM 10/27/2001 -0700, Sheni R. Meledath wrote:
>Hello:
>
>We are facing a problem with the Swish-E indexing. Now the dot (.)
>character is not indexed or not displayed in the search results.
>
>Our site has got links to many sites. When somebody searches for the domain
>name (mysite.com) it will not display the results. If I search for 'mysite'
>or 'com' then it displays the results.

http://www.swish-e.org/2.2/docs/INSTALL.html#When_posting_please_provide_the_

You didn't mention the version you are using.  But if the dot is not part
of wordcharacters (which it isn't by default) they swish will index
mysite.com as two words.  But, searching for mysite.com should search for
the two words so it should work anyway.

If, as Bernhard suggests, you have the dot in BumpPositionCounterCharacters
(which is not included by default AND you are searching for the PHRASE
(within quotes) of '"mysite.com"' then it will fail.  But that doesn't seem
likely.

So if you can provide more info (as the above link suggests) then we can
see what's happening.

Now, you talk about "links".  Swish doesn't index the contents of href's by
default, either.  In the dev version there's HTMLLinksMetaName which can be
used to index the contents of href attributes of <a> tags.  That's only
available with the libxml2 parser linked into swish.

Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley@hank.org