Re: Split swish-e binary?

From: Philip Mak <pmak(at)not-real.aaanime.net>
Date: Mon Oct 01 2001 - 19:56:09 GMT
On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, Bill Moseley wrote:

> I just don't see how removing open-for-write calls adds any security.

I think I understand what he's saying. Compare the following piece of
code:

if (<<allowed to open for write>>) {
  <<open for write>>
} else {
  print "You're not allowed to open for write!\n";
  exit;
}

versus this:

print "You're not allowed to open for write!\n";
exit;

You can look at the second bit of code and confidently say that it's
secure. But, in the first bit of code there's a chance that the <<allowed
to open for write>> check is flawed and will allow someone to open for
write when they're not supposed to be allowed.

I think that this is the same principle as shutting down all daemons on
your machine that you don't need. Even if you think the daemons are
secure, you can only be 100% sure that the daemons are not vulnerable if
you shut them down---thus, you shut them down if you don't need them.