Re: Split swish-e binary?

From: SRE <eckert(at)not-real.climber.org>
Date: Mon Oct 01 2001 - 16:02:42 GMT
At 02:31 PM 9/28/01, Bill Moseley wrote:
>Can you get a new sysadmin? ;)

I've got a good enough deal to put up with the quirks!

>You mean the sysadmin allows people with
>write access to run programs, but they want the programs to not allow write
>access?  How does that provide any security?

"Can't be hacked." If the program cannot ever open a file for writing,
then holes in the wrapper script or the program itself cannot result
in files on the server being altered. He's not worried about me, he's
worried about people hacking the tools I install. You can tell him
"there's a mode that chooses not to write", and his answer will be
"there's a hack which can change the mode". You can't prove him
wrong, but you can make a tool which cannot be hacked by simply
removing all the "open" calls which write files.

SRE

mailto:eckert(at)not-real.climber.org | http://www.climber.org/eckert/
Info on peak climbing email lists mailto:info@climber.org

  People will accept your ideas much more readily
  if you tell them that Benjamin Franklin said it first.