Re: Shrinking swish-e memory footpring

From: Michael <michael(at)not-real.bizsystems.com>
Date: Wed Sep 19 2001 - 16:17:31 GMT
> At 08:08 AM 09/19/01 -0700, Michael wrote:
> >Has anyone hacked swish-e to use a disk file rather than memory to
> >build its image during indexing. I have to index numerous sites that
> >are of unknown size and large (and growing). The memory footprint of
> >at least one of these is ~100megs (128meg machine) and will soon
> >crash against the wall. The ending index file is a mere 9 megs --
> >there must be a more memory efficient way to do this.
>
> Which version of swish are you using?
>
> There's the -e switch in recent versions that will use a disk file
> while indexing, but in some versions peek memory usage was still
> about the same. Is that still true, Jose?

I just upgraded to 2.0.5 from 1.3x just because of this problem.
Server was running out of memory -- on the surface, it does not
appear there has been a great improvement unless the storage can be
moved out to disk or partitioned in a manner that will allow
efficient swapping.

Michael
Michael@Insulin-Pumpers.org