How does the prog method work?

From: Scott Schultz <scott(at)not-real.ceweekly.com>
Date: Thu Aug 09 2001 - 23:04:48 GMT
Maybe I'm dense, but Perl has always been just so much
obfuscation to me. I can't tell from the sample programs
how the program called by the prog method informs Swish-E
that one document has finished and that another is beginning.

In other words, my understanding of the input program is
that it feeds a stream of documents to Swish-E, which Swish-E
indexes. However, the examples make it look as if the prog
method program is nothing more than a sort of filter wrapper.

Which is correct? If it IS used as an input stream, how does
it demarc the documents?

Scott Schultz
scott@cjhunter.com
http://www.cjhunter.com