Re: Errors during HP-UX install of 2.1

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Fri Aug 03 2001 - 16:31:31 GMT
At 09:07 AM 08/03/01 -0700, Julian Perry wrote:
>Isn't portablility vital in a project like this?
>The fact that someone elses code that you use isn't
>well written doesn't mean that yours shouldn't be
>either, does it?

Agreed.  But it doesn't matter in the end if we write perfect code if we
use other code that isn't.  You can't compile only parts of the program.

Maybe we can just turn off warning when not running under gcc ;)

>I'm not trying to start a war here (and I support and respect
>those who are working on swish-e), but over the years
>I've found that packages supplied as source that are
>easy to install and get going across a wide range
>of platforms get far wider use and acceptance than those
>that are trickier to bootstrap.

You can imagine my disappointment at the O'Reilly Open Source Convention
when I found out that the "Creating and Managing Portable Software"
tutorial was cancelled!

Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley@hank.org