Re: swish-search (was: Re: Errors during HP-UX

From: SRE <eckert(at)not-real.climber.org>
Date: Thu Aug 02 2001 - 06:18:39 GMT
At 10:52 PM 8/1/01, Bill Moseley wrote:
>Does anyone use swish-search?

I use it. My sysadmin insisted!

>I guess it's suppose to be a "safer" version
>of swish-e since it can't write index files.

Exactly. It's also "lighter weight", with a smaller memory footprint,
but the main difference is that no hacker can possibly do anything
to your system because swish-search simply can't open output files.

>Does that imply that swish-e is not safe?

Do air bags imply that your car is not safe? Nope. Just an extra layer.

I hope this build option does not go away in future releases.

SRE

mailto:eckert(at)not-real.climber.org | http://www.climber.org/eckert/
Info on peak climbing email lists mailto:info@climber.org

"A sense of humor keen enough to show a man his own absurdities will
 keep him from the commission of all sins, or nearly all, save those
 that are worth committing."   -- Samuel Butler