swish-search (was: Re: Errors during HP-UX

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Thu Aug 02 2001 - 05:52:49 GMT
At 05:36 PM 08/01/01 -0700, FISHER,JOSEPH (Non-HP-Roseville,ex1) wrote:
>The make swish-source did NOT work, because your README-SWISH-E says to
>execute a "make clean" just before attempting the "make swish-search"...

Yep, that would be incorrect in your documentation.  swish-search is just a
copy of swish-e.  I think 2.0.5 is almost a year old, and you are the first
to catch that.

Does anyone use swish-search?  I guess it's suppose to be a "safer" version
of swish-e since it can't write index files.  Does that imply that swish-e
is not safe?

Frankly, I think it's the CGI's job to validate user data, instead of
leaving some of that to swish-e.  I kind of worry that someone will use
swish-search and then be lax on CGI security issues and end up worse off.
Or maybe I worry too much.

Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley@hank.org