Re: Make seems rare on Webhosts

From: Philip Mak <pmak(at)not-real.aaanime.net>
Date: Wed Jun 13 2001 - 22:12:48 GMT
On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, Eric Haymaker wrote:

> I am having trouble find unix webhosts who have make installed on their
> servers.
>
> Is there another way to build swish-e?

Many webhosts use Linux. You could build swish-e on your own Linux system
and then copy the binaries and libraries over to the webhost. Remember to
set your LD_LIBRARY_PATH and LD_RUN_PATH environment variables to the
directory where you put the library files (on the webhost).

I have a lot of sites on different webhosts, so I have a bit of insight
into which webhosts are "programmer friendly", in case you are looking for
one:

Tera-byte.com has a working programming environment (I was able to install
ImageMagick on it); they have some nice deals ($10 per month for 100 MB
disk space and 20 GB bandwidth usage). They use Cobalt RaQ4s.

ServerCentral.net has a "Virtual Server" deal (somewhat between virtual
hosting and dedicated server) for $85 per month for access to httpd.conf,
400 MB disk space and unlimited bandwidth (bandwidth is throttled because
your httpd is limited to a certain number of child processes; I think you
could get about 100 GB per month out of that). They use FreeBSD 4.2.

I also rent part of a dedicated server from a guy who uses it for his own
purposes. He's taking on customers and would charge about $50 per month;
his name is Mike Little <mikelittle@home.com>. His machine runs Red Hat
Linux and since I use it myself and have root access, I've made sure that
it is "functional". :) 850MHz PIII with 256 MB of RAM, low average under
0.10 usually

-Philip Mak (pmak@aaanime.net)