Parsing Excel (was: last modified date in swish-e index file)

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Fri Jun 01 2001 - 14:08:11 GMT
At 03:38 AM 06/01/01 -0700, Rainer.Scherg@rexroth.de wrote:
>> If you are indexing .doc (Word) files, then there's the
>> catdoc program to
>> extract out the text.  I believe I saw a utility to extract
>> out xls files, but I don't remember anything specific.

I haven't tried either of these, but there are two Excel modules on CPAN.

Spreadsheet::ParseExcel claims to extract the data from Excel docs.

"XML::Excel provides functions to easily transform Excel documents into XML."
But XML::Excel uses Spreadsheet::ParseExcel.

I'm curious.  What kind of content are you searching for in your spreadsheets?

Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley@hank.org