Re: Question re: -s swishtitle

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Fri Apr 27 2001 - 03:25:32 GMT
At 07:54 PM 04/26/01 -0700, David L. Norris wrote:
>Is that change well documented?

Define "well documented".

It's in the current CHANGES file, but probably not clear enough.  I'll add
more.  The behavior changed from 1.3.2 to 2.0, and will again slightly when
2.2.

>That's significantly different than
>previous versions.  It will break the SWS (PHP) web interface.
>It counts on getting multiple sets of results and headers
>when more than one index is specified.  That explains why it quit
>working one day when I tried to use SWS with SWISH-E from CVS.
>
>I do like the new behavior.  I'll make a note to fix
>SWS.  Should simplify SWS code significantly.

It should -- the header output is much more logical.  And there's a new -H
switch to control the amount of header output.  It now prints a set of
headers related to each index file specified before printing the results.
Since swish can now sort by any property (in either direction) it made
sense to combine the results.

The other interesting thing (and Jose can correct me if I'm wrong -- once
his mail starts working) is that the sorting is now done during indexing,
not during searches.  This was to improve the search speed on Jose's
600,000 file test searches....

Of course if you were using Perl instead of PHP you could be using the
SWISH module on CPAN and not worry about those changes in the output of
swish. ;-)

Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley@hank.org