RE: Lookup 1.6 installation via FTP

From: <Rainer.Scherg(at)not-real.rexroth.de>
Date: Tue Apr 24 2001 - 07:39:35 GMT
Basically you have to look to the errorlog of the webserver.

The errorlog should provide you with all information you need to
track down the error. You you don't have direct access to your
error logs, you have to contact the server administrator.

e.g.:
    - cgi scripts  executable bit set?  (r-x - flags)
    - perl libs installed/found by your search scripts?
    - typos in scripts?
    - path errors?
    - etc.

> Can the "build", "make file" & indexing functions be instigated on the
> remote Linux machine from a Mac, and are these steps
> necessary if installing
> via FTP?

Your problem is not MAC related...

You cannot (or should not) be able to make a "make" via ftp on any
FTP server. This would be a large security leak. Mostly you have some
ftp site commands - e.g. for chmod (adapt the file permissions), but
no full shell access via FTP.

Ask for a telnet account - if possible.
Also if you need to install perl libs, you mostly need root access to the
machine, because these are installed in special directory (mostly
/opt/perl or /usr/local/...)

cu - rainer