Installing Swish-e on Mac OS X (software required, steps, etc)

From: Chris Blackstone <cblackst(at)not-real.teacher.mail.arlington.k12.va.us>
Date: Fri Apr 20 2001 - 14:25:13 GMT
I just got done installing swish-e on the Mac OS X partition of my G4
and it worked great. I wasn't able to install xpdf so I couldn't test
out indexing of PDF files, but all the swish-e tests completed successfully.

Here's what I did

Installed Mac OS X Developer Tools CD
Downloaded and installed (according to the READMEs for each. Didn't have
to do editing of configuration files)
	perl (Mac OS X comes with 5.6 so didn't need to do this)
	File::Spec (http://search.cpan.org/ - search on name)
	File::Temp (http://search.cpan.org/ - search on name)
	libwww-perl (http://www.linpro.no/lwp/ - has links to all the following
except Tagset)
	{
		MIME-Base64
		URI
		HTML-Tagset (http://search.cpan.org/ - search on name)
		HTML-Parser
		libnet
		Digest-MD5
	}
	swish-e-2.1-dev-20-2001-04-18 (http://sunsite.berkeley.edu:4444/swish-daily/)

Make sure you have set up a root account before doing any of this
I would also suggest setting up a directory somewhere to store all the
downloaded files (I did mine in /Developer/Install)
That way, you can go back and forth between installations quickly and easily.

Hope this helps. I'm anxiously awaiting the day this summer when I can
move our web server to Mac OS X Server 2.0 and setting up swish-e on it
will be one of the first things I'll do.
--
chris blackstone  |  web services coordinator

Arlington Public Schools
1426 N. Quincy St.
Arlington, VA 22207
Phone:  703.228.6185