Q: Swish-E foreign language character support

From: Kati Gbler <katigaebler(at)not-real.topmail.de>
Date: Sun Feb 04 2001 - 09:26:01 GMT
Hello Swish-E users,

I just set up Swish-E for the first time, and I got it working successfully
using the HTTP method, and doing command line, or CGI-form searching.

The only feature I'm missing is support for some of the foreign language
characters. For example, commonly used German characters are: . And
various Spanish, Italian, and French characters are:    etc., they
don't get returned in the search results, I guess because they're not
indexed, as it states in the Swish-E config file, only use these ones:

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789_\|/-+=?!@$%^'"`~,.[]{}()

In any case, I tested adding the characters  in the config file and in the
HTML files, and re-indexed, but as I expected, it didn't work. Although, I
also tested using German characters () in the META tags ("PropertyNames"),
and notably in that situation they worked when I did a command line search
with the -p option.

I have a site in Spanish, Italian, French, German and English, so for my
purpose its important to make these foreign characters work. Does anyone know
a fix to this? or would much of the Swish-E code need to be re-built to make
it work?. As such, maybe it would be better for me to find another search
engine, any advise on this foreign-character problem would be appreciated!

Regards,
Kati

PS: I just joined the list, so I'm not sure if its working, please include a
CC of any replies to me at katigaebler@topmail.de. Thanks.

--

Rules:
        (1)  The boss is always right.