Re: Having trouble compiling Swish-E 1.3.2

From: Dave Stevens <dstevens(at)not-real.roaddog.com>
Date: Thu Feb 01 2001 - 21:27:34 GMT
>The error seems to indicate that 'make' isn't found.  But, I'm not sure
>how you'd get that far in the Makefile without having make.  Maybe it is
>not finding the C compiler?  The default CC location is somewhat unusual
>in 1.x.

I replied off list to Scott, but perhaps I should have replied to the list.
It appears to be a path issue.  He is using Solaris, and the paths and
locations of the some of the non GNU stuff are different than other Unices,
or Linux.

Here is my reply to Scott, maybe it could help others, too.......

********

One of the issues with a standard Solaris install, is the the GNU stuff is
generally installed in /usr/local somewhere, but that dir is not included
in the path.  It's true for all the GNU packages I've installed.  What I
did was, depending on the packages, install from either a Solaris package
from sunfreeware.com (in the case of GNU gcc and GNU make) and then
compiled everything else from source.

There are a couple of ways to handle the path issue.  First way is to edit
your PATH environment variable to include the path to /usr/local/bin.  Or,
you could sym link from /usr/bin to the actual location of the file.
That's what I'm doing, instead of changing the paths.  Depending on what
you are compiling, you may also need to edit the make files on some of the
other GNU packages.  As long as make and gcc are in your path, swish-e will
compile without a hitch.  BTW, delete your config.cache before you compile
again, just in case.

I'm primarily using Solaris 8, but this works on Solaris 7, as well.

Dave