Re: updating autoconf changes in cvs

From: Jason Birch <jbirch(at)not-real.psp.pair.com>
Date: Thu Dec 14 2000 - 17:49:34 GMT
On Thu, 14 Dec 2000 07:35:33 -0800 (PST), Bill Moseley
<moseley@hank.org> spoke:

> I didn't think about that when I first added the distribution to cvs --
> I'll remove those from the repository if you haven't already done so.  But
> once those are removed it shouldn't matter on commit if those are in your
> working directory or not.  That is, you shouldn't need to make clean before
> doing a commit.

Perhaps these should be added to the cvsignore settings?  I don't know
if you can do that without direct access to the server, but you should
be able to just navigate to the file in the CVS tree and edit it.
http://www.cvshome.org/docs/manual/cvs_18.html#SEC173

> Anyone familiar with SourceForge?  They have a system for making
> distributions, but I'm not clear on that process.

Yeah, but you have to build the files yourself, upload them to the SF
/incoming directory, and then specify them when doing the release.
It's a pretty clumsy process really.

When I do a release there, I run a script like this in a clean
directory first to produce the release files:

#!/bin/sh
# just pass in whatever version it is like 2.1.2
SWISHEVER=swishe-$1
SWISHETAG=swishe_`echo $1 | sed y/\./_/`
rm -Rf $SWISHEVER
# Next lines to the zip are a single line:
cvs -z3
-d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.swishe.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/swishe ex -r
$SWISHETAG -d $SWISHVER swishe
zip -9r $SWISHEVER.zip $SWISHEVER
tar cf $SWISHEVER.tar $SWISHEVER
cat $SWISHEVER.tar | gzip -9 > $SWISHEVER.tar.gz
bzip2 $SWISHEVER.tar
unset SWISHEVER
unset SWISHETAG

This all assumes that you are using a common release tagging format
like "swishe_2_0_0", "swishe_2_1_2", etc...

Jason