Re: Swishe on Win98

From: <jmruiz(at)not-real.boe.es>
Date: Mon Nov 27 2000 - 17:16:12 GMT
Hi Frances,

I am not a Win user but it seems to be a memory compsumption
problem rather than a memory leak (I index more than 60000 files
with 300000 different words with no problems in Solaris but I have
2 Gb of RAM!!!).

The problem of 2.0 is as follows: It uses more memory than 1.3
while it is working in indexing mode. The reason is simple: like in
1.3 it stores all data (words, files, ...) in memory during the index
proccess but 2.0 includes a new feature (phrase search) that also
keeps in memory the positions and frequency of each word.

Perhaps, you can check with some tool (like unix top) the state of
the memory of your machine.

But as you states, if 1500 files gives you a 8 min time to index and
more than 2 hours for 4500 files, your box is clearly paging to disk.

We are working on this issue in 2.1.x (part of the info can be written
to disk with the -e option).

cu
Jose