Re: Have I hit the wall? swish-e hangs on 55MB index

From: <jmruiz(at)not-real.boe.es>
Date: Mon Nov 20 2000 - 16:24:00 GMT
Hi,

Which version of swish-e are you using?

Theoretically, the limit is 2 GB for an index file. The true limit
should be the amount of RAM you have (swish-e uses memory to
store all data while indexing).

I have several big index files, (the biggest one is 65 MB).
I am using them in a heavy loaded environment wihtout
problems.

If you are using 1.3.X, remember that it can have a potential
DOS attack because it is very slow asking querys with wildcards.
Eg: a* or b* or c* or d*.

If your index file is big, the answer can take long time: you can see
lots of swish-e process running, getting your box out of resources.

BTW, I am using 2.1.X version and my index time is less than 1
hour for a 65M file (Sun sparc 450 Mhz). But swish-e index files are
bigger than those in 1.3.x because every word position in the file is
stored in it.

cu
Jose