search precedence

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Sat Oct 28 2000 - 19:08:39 GMT
Swish 2.0.

Hi,

This is a question about searches when parenthesis are NOT used.

Swish documentation states "Evaluation takes place from left to right only"
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/SWISH-E/Manual/searchhelp.html#boolean

So, what would one expect from this search, and why?

     cars NOT honda NOT bmw

The person that entered this query expected to return all the cars except
for the Hondas and BMWs.  The results do include bmw.

     cars NOT bmw NOT honda

includes honda, not bmw this time.

This works as expected, of course.

     cars NOT (honda OR bmw)

The first search above kind of makes sense to me, since "honda NOT bmw" is
just honda (assuming no files contain both bmw and honda).  But I also
think that first search is a bit ambiguous.

Comments?

Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley@hank.org