Re: Re: Searching multiple indices

From: David Norris <dave(at)not-real.webaugur.com>
Date: Wed Aug 23 2000 - 06:10:23 GMT
Paul Thomas wrote:
> Is it fasterr and less demanding of the cpu to merge a new index with a
> master than it is to just index all the files at once?

It should be faster.  You wouldn't be processing the files which have
not changed.  Much of the indexing time is spent doing disk I/O and
processing files.  Anything that minimizes those two will decrease the
index time.  Merging involves mostly CPU time and RAM.

> How would this adversly affect ranking?

Someone may want to correct me as it's been a while since I've looked at
the ranking.  I think that the ranking is not recalculated when indices
are merged.  At the very least, I'm sure it's not properly recalculated.

Adding this to your config should make it more consistent:
  IgnoreTotalWordCountWhenRanking 1

--
,David Norris
  ICQ Universal Internet Number - 412039

"I would never belong to a club that would have me as a member!"
                                          - Groucho Marx