Re: Searching multiple indices

From: David Norris <dave(at)not-real.webaugur.com>
Date: Tue Aug 22 2000 - 08:39:34 GMT
Paul Thomas wrote:
> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to search multiple
> indexes once everything is indexed without the person searching
> having to select the index they are going to search. I guess I

You can walk through the directory with a script and pass it a list of
index files.  This probably isn't a great way to do what you want.

> would like to just define a directory and have a search program
> search whatever indexes might be in that directory automatically.

Multi-index searches aren't merged.  (swish-e -f index1 index2...)  They
are performed serially.  index1 results then index2...  The ranking
wouldn't be very relevant and you probably would need to sort the
results somehow.  This is a handy feature if you have 3 or 4 unrelated
indices you want to search simultaneously, though.

You might want to merge the update indices with the old indices after
you have indexed.  (swish-e -M index1 updates1 -f index1_new)  That
would allow you to incrementally update a master index.  The ranking
isn't great this way, but, it's better than nothing.

You could use 'find' with a shell script to build a list of files newer
than a particular date.  Perhaps files newer than the date of the index
file you are
updating.

--
,David Norris
  ICQ Universal Internet Number - 412039

"I would never belong to a club that would have me as a member!"
                                          - Groucho Marx