SWISH options

From: Chris Humphries <ChrisJMH(at)not-real.vermilion99.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Tue Aug 01 2000 - 10:40:25 GMT
I have been reading with interest the various requests by different people
for new SWISH options.

One nice option for the HTTP method would be to have a spider which allowed
one to index each site to a different depth, and to a different depth
depending on whether one were in the domain of that site or not. I have
written my own programs in Perl to give me this functionality, using the
SWISH spider program to get web pages and their links for me. Incorporated
into this is a handler for pages with frames (I have already uploaded a
copy of the spider with this frames support, but it doesn't sit that well
with the spidering process as it currently stands because of the
restrictions on out-of-the-domain links.) I would interested to know how
people felt generally about the use of SWISH for HTTP as opposed to
FILESYSTEM indexing. I have only ever used SWISH for HTTP indexing.

I do have a question as well:
Is there an option to get SWISH to output ALL of its indexed files? I
realise that for some this would be a really big list, but it could be very
useful in certain circumstances, e.g. if you wanted to filter the results
by some other method using your own software.

Chris Humphries