swish-e future

From: <jmruiz(at)not-real.boe.es>
Date: Tue Jul 18 2000 - 11:51:21 GMT
Hi

What do you think about future versions of swish-e?

I have received several mails from different people for new addons.
Here are some of them:

1. Perl and php modules for searching index files
2. Add Files to the index file
3. Delete Files from the index file
4. Better XML integration
5. Multidocument Files. This will allow to write filters for
SQL databases. Needs to define a document separator.

I think these ones will also be useful:
6. Build a C library. This will help in making a perl or php
module.
7. Better memory management.
8. Compression of file information. Perhaps using zlib...
(need to check the possible impact in performance).
9. Someone asks for unicode support...
10. Option to retrive documents with words highlighted
in some way.
11. A search engine with some type of optimization
for complex queries.
12. Stemming modules for non english languages.

Any more ideas?

I think 2 and 3 are a major deal. The format of the index file
is not ready for incremental updates.
Perhaps 4 is becoming more important these days but
I do not know very well XML.

Now, I am working on building a SIWSH library. This should not
be part of 2.0. Perhaps in 2.1...
The library will look like this:

handle=SwishOpen(IndexFiles)         /* read headers */

numresults=SwishSearch(handle,search_string, options...)

result=SwishRetrieve(handle)     /* Get result */

SwishClose(handle)   /* realease handle and memory */

With this library, I think that building perl, php or even java
modules should be easier.

Waiting to hear from all of you...

cu
Jose