Re: don't know c...

From: David Norris <dave(at)not-real.webaugur.com>
Date: Mon Jun 26 2000 - 18:54:11 GMT
> Sean.McHugh@Microbank.com wrote:
> I don't know anything about C.  I'm trying to compile
> swish-e 1.3.2 on a Win32 system using gcc provided by
> the Cygwin32 emulator.

It will never work ;-)  I played with that for many months.  Since that
little nightmare, it has been ported to Windows.  Even if you do manage
to compile it with Cygwin you will hate the results.  It will be
miserably slow, buggy, and just generally flaky.  You need to disable
the Cygwin Unix emulation (i.e. use the MinGW32 headers with GCC to link
to Microsoft's C runtime).  There is no need for the Unix emulator as
SWISH-E runs natively under Windows extremely well.

I have some info about compiling with MinGW32 at:
   http://www.webaugur.com/wares/swish.html

Look under the "Experimental Builds" heading.  There are links to
MinGW32 and some experimental builds with code examples.  You will have
to modify the Makefile due to (what I think are) bugs in GNU Make on
Win32.  I think there was one minor addition to a header, also.

There are also stable, native Win32 builds (built with Microsoft Visual
C++) there if you have no need to be compiling it yourself.

--
,David Norris
  ICQ Universal Internet Number - 412039