Re: Secure Server question

From: Ron Samuel Klatchko <rsk(at)not-real.corpmail.brightmail.com>
Date: Fri Jun 09 2000 - 23:38:56 GMT
Jessica Datta wrote:
> I'm trying to find a good (and free) search util to add to one of our sites.  I've looked at a few and tried to set them up but I keep running into a small problem... they were written to work with a secure site... will swish-e work with a secure site (https)?  or am i going to have to install SSL and all that stuff???  (Just want to find out before I invest the time to install it)
>
> if it won't work with https then do you know of a search util that will??

It depends on what you mean by working with https.  Then are two
distinct modes to for a search engine; index time and search time.
Search time should not be a problem; unless the coder to specific steps
to disallow secure mode, a CGI should automatically work with in both
secure and non-secure servers.

As for indexing, that is more problematic.  SWISH-E depends on a helper
app to do the actual retrieving.  Currently, it's a PERL app and I don't
believe it supports talking to a secure server.  Hopefully, once all the
crypto patents run out this September, we should see a rush of code
adding it so it should be there soon.

On the other hand, if you are indexing your own server, you could always
use the FS mode to get around that.

moo
        Ron Samuel Klatchko - Senior Software Jester
            Brightmail Inc - rsk@brightmail.com