Re: Case sensitive?

From: Ron Samuel Klatchko <rsk(at)not-real.corpmail.brightmail.com>
Date: Tue May 02 2000 - 17:22:11 GMT
csd_vb/MHOSP/La_Pampa@lapampa.gov.ar wrote:
> Somebody can tell me why the results for any searchs include the same URLs
> but with the only diference in the case mode?
> for example:
>
> www.lapampa.gov.ar/prensa/bol02.htm
> and
> www.lapampa.gov.ar/Prensa/bol02.htm
>
> Are there any way to ignore case?
> I want to show the URL just once.

Because URLs are supposed to be case sensitive.  According to RFC 2068
(HTTP/1.1):

3.2.3 URI Comparison

   When comparing two URIs to decide if they match or not, a client
   SHOULD use a case-sensitive octet-by-octet comparison of the entire
   URIs.

Unfortunately, some company decided that breaking the spec is an
innovation.  I did some work to make the http code configurably case
insensitive, but I would need to spend some time making sure it's ready
for prime time and I don't see that time being available anytime in the
near future.

moo
        Ron Samuel Klatchko - Senior Software Jester
            Brightmail Inc - rsk@brightmail.com