Re: Swish-e Ran Out of Memory

From: Ron Samuel Klatchko <rsk(at)not-real.brightmail.com>
Date: Tue Apr 25 2000 - 22:21:27 GMT
Sharon Beall wrote:
> I've been using swish-e to index specified directories no problem for quite
> a while.  Today, I ran swish-e to re-index and halfway through it came up with:
>
> swish: Ran out of memory (could not allocate enough)!
>
> I tried cleaning up the site, getting rid of some larger files, but to no
> avail.  Is there a setting somewhere in swish-e that I can give it more
> memory access or something?

SWISH will take as much memory as the system is willing to give it.
Unix systems are equipped with hard and soft limits.  By default, a
program can use up to it's soft limit after which it will run out of
memory.  A program is allowed to increase it's soft limit up to it's
hard limit.  This can be controlled by the shell commands ulimit (for sh
and ksh family shells) or limit (for csh family shells).

moo
        Ron Samuel Klatchko - Senior Software Jester
            Brightmail Inc - rsk@brightmail.com