From: David Norris <dave(at)>
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 08:20:07 GMT
Jose Manuel Ruiz wrote:
> > - there were some issues with a combination of wildcards and stemming.
> > I'm not clear on the details but David Norris has a good understanding
> > of what's happening here...

I think that SRE and/or Bill Moseley have addressed the
wildcard/stemming issues to some extent.  The fix isn't ideal but I
can't see a better way to do it.  Stemming and wildcards together create
a whole array of strange problems.

> I will need some help here because I do not use stemming mor soundex (my
> databases are not in english).

Soundex and stemming could be handled more efficiently with some custom
index/search scripts and the filtering code.  Filter the input files
with the stemming/soundex algorithm and build the same code into the
search script.  This would allow you to easily build stemming and
soundex filters for non-English languages.

,David Norris
  Open Server Architecture Project -
  Dave's Web -
  Dave's Weather -