Merge indexes & Word Stemming Problem

From: Eric Haymaker <ehaymaker(at)not-real.aphelioninc.com>
Date: Tue Apr 11 2000 - 13:35:38 GMT
I have multiple indexes on my site.  Some very large.  The ISP could no
longer handle the largest index so I used the merge feature.  Although all
the configuration files specify 'yes' for word stemming, the merged index is
not using stemming: typing in a search word with and without an "s" gets
noticeably different results.  Although word stemming on all original
indexes works without any problem.

To further complicate the matter, all results for words with an "s" come
from just one of the original indexes (which might be a clue as to the
problem?).

Thanks in advance!

Any ideas about how to handle this?