Re: Multiple indexes

From: Ron Samuel Klatchko <rsk(at)not-real.corpmail.brightmail.com>
Date: Fri Mar 17 2000 - 01:05:15 GMT
Steve Thomas wrote:

> David Norris wrote:
> >
> > > Another option would be to merge all the indices into a single index.
> > > This can be done with the -M flag.
> >
> > This certainly would be the only way to get (swish-e) sorted results for
> > the entire site.
>
> Actually, you can just sort the results returned -- e.g.
>
> swish-e -f index1 index2 ... -w terms | sort -nr -k1
>
> That will sort by the ranking score, in reverse numerical order.

Yes and no.  Yes, given two hits of different scores the higher one will
be listed first.  But my understanding of the scoring algorithm is that
it normalizes values.  So unfortunately, a score of 600 from one index
might actually be a better match then a score of 750.

Can anyone else confirm this or am I just smoking crack?

moo
           Ron Samuel Klatchko - Software Jester
            Brightmail Inc - rsk@brightmail.com